Get Help

Emergency: 911

DA Office: 610 891-4162

Special Victims Unit: 610 891-4811

Witness Assistance: 610 831-4227

Criminal Investigations: 610 891-4700

Bad Check Program

As the District Attorney, I am always concerned about the negative impact of bad checks passed to local businesses in Delaware County. Millions of dollars are lost every year by merchants as a result of this ongoing problem. Bad checks affect everyone in terms of higher consumer costs that must be passed on to offset losses, and increased taxes to cover the additional costs for law enforcement and prosecution.

In an effort to combat this problem, the Bad Check Restitution Program has been organized to assist local merchants with bad check losses. The primary goal of the program is to obtain full restitution for the victim without adding to the financial burden of the criminal justice system. The Bad Check Restitution Program was designed with three goals in mind: to better serve the Delaware County community, to better serve victims, and to rehabilitate offenders.

The Bad Check Program increases the accountability of those who pass bad checks, without increasing the administrative or financial burden to the criminal justice system. First-time bad check offenders are given the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution by attending a mandatory intervention class, in addition to paying restitution.

All of this is accomplished without any cost to the taxpayers. The Bad Check Restitution Program forms a partnership between the District Attorney's Office and local business communities while removing some of the burden bad checks place on local police. This innovative approach to the bad check problem provides new avenues to obtain restitution, to protect the public and to seek justice in these matters at no cost to bad check victims or Los Angeles County taxpayers.

Prison Alternatives Drug And Alcohol Programs (PADAP)

The Prison Alternative Drug and Alcohol Program (“PADAP”) offers non-violent level 3 and 4 offenders the opportunity to undergo treatment and relapse prevention instead of incarceration.  Offenders enter a guilty plea and are sentenced to a term of intermediate punishment, offering them the opportunity to be rehabilitated and avoid re-offending.

Veterans Court

Form Downloads:

In 2011, Delaware County created Veterans Court.  The Court seeks to address the increasing number of veterans entering the criminal justice system after serving our country in the war on terrorism.  Many of these Veterans are suffering from the wounds of combat, including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).  The Delaware County Veterans Court’s mission is to provide substance abuse and mental health treatment to the men and women who have honorably served our country while balancing the interest of the community in punishing, rehabilitating and deterring these defendants from committing future crimes.  In a collaborative effort with the Office of the District Attorney, defense counsel, Veteran Mentors and the Veterans Administration, the Delaware County Treatment Court seeks to provide defendants with treatment and services needed to return to being productive and law-abiding citizens.

Form Downloads:

Veterans Court Mentors

Veterans Court Mentors play a vital part in the success of a Veteran defendant navigating the criminal justice system.  Much like a sponsor in AA or NA, a mentor is someone the defendant can trust and lean-on in times of hardship.  A mentor is someone who shares similar military experiences or personal backgrounds and knows the difficulties presented by life after military service.

The Role of a Mentor

The role of a mentor is to act as a coach, guide, role model and advocate for the participants of Veterans Court.  A mentor is intended to encourage and support the mentee as he or she progresses through the court process.

Mentors are Not…

Mentors are not intended to take on the role of a parent, a professional counselor, a social worker or a doctor.  Mentors will be expected to listen, support and advise to the best of their ability.  Mentors will not act as the case manager, probation officer, Judge or health care provider, etc.

If you are a veteran of any military branch, Active Duty, Reserve or National Guard, and would like to volunteer as a Veterans Court Mentor, click the link below to download the mentor application form.


Applicants for the Mentor Program must meet the following criteria:

  1. United States Veteran of any branch (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard) regardless of component (Active Duty, Reserves or National Guard)
  2. Discharged from the military with an Honorable or General, Under Honorable Conditions characterization of service
  3. Pass a criminal background check
  4. Successfully complete the Veterans Court Mentor online training course

Duties and Responsibilities

All Veterans Court approved Mentors shall:

  1. Adhere to Delaware County Veterans Court policies and procedures
  2. Be familiar with Veterans Affairs services and Veterans community resources
  3. Act as an ally, advocate and role model for a Veteran involved in the criminal justice system
  4. Act professionally and respectfully towards other Veterans, court staff and agencies who work with the Delaware County Veterans Court
  5. Be available to attend court proceedings as necessary

Protection From Abuse

If you are, or have been, in a relationship with someone who has been or is threatening to be physically abusive to you and the abuse has occurred recently: You may qualify to get a Protection From Abuse Order (PFA). If you have a Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) and it has been violated: You may qualify to file an Indirect Criminal Contempt Complaint.

Please be advised that obtaining a Protection Order takes time. You may need to set aside several hours when you file for a Temporary Order and you will also need to be available for several hours to appear in court on the date of your hearing for a Permanent Protection Order.

Questions and Answers:

What is a PFA?
    Who can get a PFA?
    What is abuse under the PFA Act?
    What can a PFA prohibit?
    What are the 3 stages of a PFA?
    Who do you call for assistance to get a PFA?
    What are the steps to get a PFA?
    If a violation occurs, what should the victim do?
    What is an indirect criminal contempt?
    Why is it necessary to contact or go to the District Attorney’s Office?

What is a PFA?

A PFA (Protection From Abuse Order or Protection Order) is a restraining order issued by the District Court or the Court of Common Pleas in Media.
Who can get a PFA? back to top

To petition for a PFA, you must be, or have been, in a relationship with or a family member of the person against whom you want to file.
What is abuse under the PFA Act? back to top

Under the Protection From Abuse Act, abuse is defined as physical abuse, a threat that places you in immediate fear of physical injury, or a pattern of conduct (such as stalking) that places you in immediate fear of physical injury.
What can a PFA prohibit? back to top

A Protection Order can:

    Prohibit abusive conduct
    Remove the abuser from your residence
    Include other provisions a judge deems appropriate.

What are the 3 stages of a PFA? back to top

Emergency Order– issued by a District Justice when the Court of Common Pleas is closed.  It is in effect until the next business day at the Court of Common Pleas.

Why? An incident of abuse has occurred within the last 24 hours (48 hours on weekend)
When? After 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, weekends, and holidays

Temporary Order– issued on a daily basis by the Court of Common Pleas in Media and is in effect until the hearing for a Permanent PFA is held.

Permanent Order– issued for up to 36 months at a hearing before the Court of Common Pleas.  The hearing date is scheduled when you receive the Temporary PFA.
Who do you call for assistance to get a PFA? back to top

To obtain information on filing for a PFA and, with few exceptions, free legal representation throughout the process, you can contact the Domestic Abuse Project at (610) 565-4590 (24 hr/7 day a week hotline) or go to their office (office open 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday).  If you arrive before 10:30 am Monday through Friday, you will receive assistance for same day court appearance.  After 10:30 am, assistance will be provided for next day court appearances.

If you wish to file on your own (Pro Se), you may go to the Office of Judicial Support in the Media Courthouse or seek private legal counsel.  Legal Aid of Southeastern PA provides free representation at hearings for permanent orders.  Legal Aid of SE PA can be contacted at (610) 874-8421.
What are the steps to get a PFA? back to top

Obtaining a PFA is a process.  To file, you must:

    Complete a petition for a Temporary PFA at Domestic Abuse Project or the Office of Judicial Support
    File the petition in the office of Judicial Support
    Speak with a judge
    Take copies of the PFA Order (Temporary and Permanent) to your local police department attend a hearing for a Permanent PFA

If a violation occurs, what should the victim do? back to top

The victim should immediately call the police. Based on the type of violation and evidence, the police will either file a report with the District Justice or advise the victim of the right to file a private contempt complaint. If the police file a report, the contempt petition will proceed based on the police filing.  The victim should contact the District Attorney’s Office at (610) 891-4811.  To file a private indirect criminal contempt complaint, the victim must complete a petition and have an interview at the District Attorney’s Office in Media (Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:00 pm).
What is an indirect criminal contempt? back to top

An indirect criminal contempt is a violation of one or more of the non-economic conditions placed on the defendant by an existing Emergency, Temporary or Permanent Protection from Abuse Order.
Why is it necessary to contact or go to the District Attorney’s Office? back to top

The victim must be interviewed and the case must be evaluated.  The victim contact within the District Attorney’s office will advise the victim on court dates and procedures.  The District Attorney’s office will file the petition with the District Court.

Information for Witnesses

The following information is offered to assist you in becoming the most effective witness possible:


Naturally, this is the most important point of all.  If you tell the truth accurately and without exaggeration, your testimony will be perceived as believable.


Prior to coming to court, mentally review the things that you will be testifying about – try to picture the scene, the people involved, the objects there, the distances involved, and the events.  However, don’t try to memorize what you are going to say, but come to court with an accurate picture of the events in question.


A neat appearance and proper dress reflect your respect for the court.


Even if the attorney questioning you seems rude or makes you angry, remember to stay calm and don't lose your temper. Do not argue with the attorneys or the judge.


Always address the judge as "Your Honor". Never chew gum, smoke, or read newspapers in the courtroom. Avoid laughing or talking in the courtroom. No beepers or cell phones are allowed (unless on vibrate). Noise disrupts testimony and interferes with the electronic recording devices in the courtroom. These items will be confiscated by the court officers if they are heard.


Give the question as much thought as you need to understand it and to form your answer. You must always give spoken answers so that the recording system can record your answer. If you are interrupted in the middle of an answer, you may ask the judge for permission to finish. If you do not know the answer to a question, do not be afraid to say "I don't know". If you do not remember something, it is perfectly proper to state "I don't remember".


If a defense attorney asks you if you have talked to anyone about the case, tell the truth. It is perfectly proper to have discussed a case with police, the Assistant District Attorney, or others before you were called to testify.


You must never approach a juror even on a matter that is unrelated to the trial. Avoid laughing or talking about the case in the Court House, at lunch, or anywhere that you may be overheard.


After you have testified, you will generally be permitted to remain in the courtroom for the remainder of the trial. This shows the jury that you are interested in the outcome of the case. After you have testified, do not discuss your testimony with other witnesses who have not yet testified. Such discussions may violate a court order and damage the case. If you are going to remain in the courtroom after testifying, never make remarks or comments to an opposing party, anyone there on their behalf or during someone else's testimony.